March 20, 2014

Don't you miss popular packages?

This post is continued from the previous post. In the post, I found unique packages which other people had not download. Today, I will check the packages which are popular (best 50) but I missed.

Here's the result.

# All my installed packages
res <- data.frame(name = row.names(installed.packages()), installed.packages(), 
    stringsAsFactors = FALSE)
res <- subset(res, !(Priority %in% c("base")))

# package ranking 2013 from Rstudio log
packageRanking2013 <- read.csv("http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/956851/RStudio_CRAN_data.csv", 
    as.is = TRUE, encoding = "UTF-8")

# result
range_rank <- 50
res_diff <- setdiff(as.character(packageRanking2013$package)[seq_len(range_rank)], 
    res$name)
cat("The number of the packages you missed are", length(res_diff), "(", round(length(res_diff) * 
    100/range_rank, 1), "%)")
## The number of the packages you missed are 13 ( 26 %)

packageRanking2013_missed <- subset(packageRanking2013, package %in% res_diff)
print(packageRanking2013_missed)
##     package count
## 16  mvtnorm  1752
## 21    Hmisc  1604
## 25       sp  1477
## 32      rgl  1224
## 34 multcomp  1193
## 37 sandwich  1120
## 41   lmtest  1036
## 43    RODBC   978
## 45 quadprog   911
## 46  reshape   888
## 47    leaps   875
## 49     coda   856
## 50    abind   839

So what?

The numbers on the lefe side of each packages are ranking. Hmm… There seem to be three types in the above list.

  1. No need: Hmisc, sp, rgl, multcomp, RODBC, reshape
  2. Certain installed: mvtnorm,
  3. Not know to exist: sandwich, lmtest, quadprog, leaps, coda, abind

As for type 1, I rarely analyse data related to the social sciences, so I know Hmisc is a usuful package but I have not installed it. Next, mvtnorm, which is classified as type 2, I'm certain that I have installed it already. I have used this package. Maybe I misunderstood the environment as another environment. The last type includes the packages that I did not know about. However, they are popular among other R users.

Now, by checking package popularity, I have found some interesting points. How about you?

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post!!! I have learnt many things form here. I have also website where you can ivsit and pass your leasure time. In everyone’s life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit. To get more information, visit here……………
    miss you

    ReplyDelete